Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Do the Gods Have Too Much Power?

Hey it’s Penelope here again. By now these blogs are natural and are a good way to spend my time while waiting for Odysseus to return. I have been thinking a lot about the gods lately and if they are really using their great power for good. I know that only the most powerful are allowed to sit atop the great mount Olympus, but nowadays it seems only some gods are on my side. Many stories have run through the palace of acts of cruelty and acts of kindness from the gods towards people. Some of these stories involve my husband, and trouble me deeply.
Poseidon is one of the most powerful gods in the whole universe. He rules over the bodies of water and he can control hurricanes and other weather patterns. He has been mad at my husband ever since some incident on the island of some Cyclops. Apparently Odysseus was captured by his son named Polyphemus who was threatening to kill my husband and his entire crew. I know that whatever choice Odysseus made was the right choice and that if hurting Polyphemus was not necessary it would not have been done. Poseidon has used his great ruling powers for many years trying to keep Odysseus from making his great sail home. If the gods did not have their great powers then Odysseus would have been home in Ithaca for many years. This is why I feel that the god’s powers are not always good.
Athena is my favorite goddess right now she uses her great godly powers to help mere mortals. When Odysseus was trapped at sea I heard that the only one to help him was Athena. She even stood up to the great gods on Olympus and told them that Odysseus needed help. One of these gods that she stood up to was her father the great Zeus. Zeus is the greatest god of them all and has the power to change the way the earth turns. Athena was watching the earth and witnessed the hardship that Odysseus was going through. She used her great power to help guide him to safety. Athena truly embodies all that a goddess’s powers should be used for.
Overall I am happy that there are more powerful superior beings living with us. I know that the gods do not punish anyone without good reason. Even though sometimes they are a bit harsh, but I feel very reassured having someone who is very powerful watching over me at all times. This assures me that if I am in trouble I will have someone backing me up watching over me. Having the god’s powers backing you up is truly the most reassuring gifting that any human can ever be given.
I don’t have much else to say. If you have any views on how much power the gods have please comment. I have to go now. Goodnight talk to you later.
This picture is of Athena one of my favorite Goddesses.

2 comments:

  1. Hey there Penelope,

    I probably wouldn’t be talking to you since you are involved with Odysseus, but I am trying to stop taking my anger out on others, so since you are not Odysseus himself I suppose it is okay. First of all, I would like to thank you for calling me “one of the most powerful gods in the whole universe”, it almost made me blush. However blushing is a bit too feminine for me, so I just grinned while still looking extremely intimidating, of course.

    And by the way, don’t even try to defend your husband’s actions. There is no way that blinding my poor son, Polyphemus will EVER be okay.

    -Poseidon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Penelope, you have always been so kind to the gods. You alone are one of the main reasons I strive to help all mortals in their daily problems. Your praise and worship for the gods shall not go unnoticed.

    ReplyDelete